The Friends of the South Slopes Society (FOSS) is a volunteer organization dedicated to the promotion of active outdoor recreation by maintaining trails used by hikers, runners, horse riders and mountain bikers in Myra-Bellevue & Okanagan Mountain Provincial Parks and other public lands on the South Slopes
Calendar of events
FOSS’ 2015 Achievements
National Trails Coalition Project
- Project funding of $47,884. $37,670 was spent to hire a contractor to clear, brush and improve over 39 km of trails in Myra-Bellevue and Okanagan Mountain Parks. Funding: $21,000 from a National Trails Coalition grant and matching funds from FOSS including donations from Central Okanagan Naturalists Club and Okanagan Similkameen Parks Society.
Erosion Mitigation-Golden Mile Trail and Okanagan Mountain Provincial Park
- Major trail washouts in spring of 2015. 70+ hours of volunteer time for remediation and culvert installation.
SEKID Trail Use Agreement
- Formalized agreement between FOSS and South East Kelowna Irrigation District for FOSS to manage and develop trails – first step in creating a “Get Back” trail to connect KLO Creek Regional Park to the trails in Myra-Bellevue Provincial Park. Is known as the KLO Creek/Myra Recreation Area.
Adopt A Trail Program
- GOSS’ Adopt A Trail program (regular program and sponsorship) is the heart of FOSS
- Individual adopters contributed 445 volunteer hours in 2015
- Business Sponsors contributed 624 volunteer hours in 2015
Fairlane Trail/Fairlane Loop Re-Route
- Adopt A Trail sponsors Sovereign Cycle and Valeo Health Clinic decommissioned two sections of trail and rehabilitated eroded and braided trail sections.
FOSS is BC Parks’ 2014 Volunteer Organization of the Year!
(Award presented to FOSS in February 2015) Read more…