Important Notice – July 2014
Staff from BC Parks recently deconstructed an unauthorized trail in Myra-Bellevue Provincial Park.
Trail users are reminded that any trail construction must be pre-approved by the BC Parks Area Supervisor (250) 490-8250. Illegal trails will be closed and decommissioned.
Please be aware that illegal trails create problems at all levels. FOSS makes an effort to work in harmony with all user groups and BC Parks. If you are aware of a ‘potentially amazing route’ through the park, contact FOSS and we can talk about the possibilities.
Myra-Bellevue Provincial Park does tend to be a ‘wilderness’ park in many users’ minds but it is still a provincial park and users are not permitted to disturb the flora and fauna. Any trail has an environmental impact and must be carefully considered.
Please, work with us to make Myra-Bellevue Provincial Park the most awesome recreation area in the Okanagan!
The Friends of the South Slopes Society (FOSS) is a volunteer organization dedicated to the promotion of active outdoor recreation by maintaining trails used by hikers, runners, horse riders and mountain bikers in Myra-Bellevue & Okanagan Mountain Provincial Parks and other public lands on the South Slopes
Future Projects & Goals:
- Repair all trails with erosion damage and add erosion control works to prevent further damage.
- Brush trails where foliage is hindering trail use.
- Increase membership in FOSS.
- Add new trails in Okanagan Mountain Park.
- FOSS with help from BC Parks relocated and rebuild the Deeper Creek Bridge in OMPP.
- Created a Self-Guided Interpretive Nature Trail.
- Revised the Adopt-A-Trail program to allow local businesses to adopt trails.
- Created a Facebook Page to provide current information for all trail users.
- Updated the Myra-Bellevue Trail Network Map.
- Hired contractor to perform danger tree mitigation and trail brushing for the Crawford, Astrid and Lookout Trails.
- Hired a contractor to construct erosion control works and trail floating for the Crawford and Surf-n-Turf Trails.
- Added additional trail signage where required.