Public Awareness – Hunting Season
Just a reminder to those of you who hike, bike or ride the trails in Okanagan Mountain and Myra-Bellevue Provincial Parks that under BC Hunting Regulations, hunting is a permitted use in all areas of these parks including the high-use Crawford Trails network in Myra-Bellevue.
More information is posted on the government’s website:
According to government regulations, Myra-Bellevue & Okanagan Mtn. Provincial Parks are “open to the discharge of firearms, bows and crossbows from September 1 to April 15 during the lawful game hunting season.”
The following government document summarizes the dates for hunting specific species and also classifies whether hunting is by bow or firearm.
Information specific to our region is posted under Region 8 Okanagan, which is on page 87 of this pdf document.
The Friends of the South Slopes Society (FOSS) is a volunteer organization dedicated to the promotion of active outdoor recreation by maintaining trails used by hikers, runners, horse riders and mountain bikers in Myra-Bellevue & Okanagan Mountain Provincial Parks and other public lands on the South Slopes
Future Projects & Goals:
- Repair all trails with erosion damage and add erosion control works to prevent further damage.
- Brush trails where foliage is hindering trail use.
- Increase membership in FOSS.
- Add new trails in Okanagan Mountain Park.
- FOSS with help from BC Parks relocated and rebuild the Deeper Creek Bridge in OMPP.
- Created a Self-Guided Interpretive Nature Trail.
- Revised the Adopt-A-Trail program to allow local businesses to adopt trails.
- Created a Facebook Page to provide current information for all trail users.
- Updated the Myra-Bellevue Trail Network Map.
- Hired contractor to perform danger tree mitigation and trail brushing for the Crawford, Astrid and Lookout Trails.
- Hired a contractor to construct erosion control works and trail floating for the Crawford and Surf-n-Turf Trails.
- Added additional trail signage where required.