Volunteers Maintain the Trails in Myra-Bellevue! Under a Partnership Agreement with BC Parks, the trails in Myra-Bellevue Provincial Park are maintained and improved by:
Friends of the South Slopes Society (FOSS) and Mountain Bikers of the Central Okanagan (MTBco)
If you enjoy these trails, please join F.O.S.S. or MTBco
- A 3 day erosion mitigation project was undertaken in July 2016. The project was planned and managed by FOSS Director Herb Blamire who spent 30 hours operating a JD 50 excavator, assisted by volunteers. A total of 75 volunteer hours were spent on this project. Many thanks to Winn Rentals for the ‘in kind’ donation of the excavator.
- FOSS worked with the Ministry of Forests Land and Natural Resource Operations compliance branch to have the unauthorized gate removed to ensure that public access was maintained on Hromek.
- The donations panel, trail map and South Slopes panel were updated, as well as other signage repairs in Myra-Bellevue and new signage installed on Golden Mile Trail (M.O.T. RoW from Lakeshore Rd. to Wild Horse Canyon Trail in Okanagan Mtn. Provincial Park)
- As sign posts rot, volunteers are cutting off the bottom of the posts and reinstalling them with metal spikes.
- In 2017 FOSS will receive a $20,000 ‘matching funds’ grant for infrastructure repairs/improvements. In preparation for this project, a comprehensive assessment was made of creek crossings and areas where water flow and erosion impact trails.
- Volunteer hours in 2016 – Regular program 327.5 and the Adopt a Trail Sponsorship Program: 420.5.
FOSS’ 2016 Achievements
Water Flow Mitigation Project